Empty-Nest Depression? 5 Ways to a Happier Life
Empty-nest depression can set in when your children have finally left home. Feeling sad and missing your children,is only to be expected when you have devoted your life to caring for them.
Here are some easy ways to begin to navigate your way through your depression and rebuild a new life for yourself:
1. Recognise that you are going through a big CHANGE Do not try to resist it by putting on a brave face. Accept that you will feel sad and allow yourself to cry.
You are mourning a real loss in your life. Having said this, one way forward if you are feeling overwhelmed by sadness, is to set your alarm clock for 10 minutes, and let yourself cry until the alarm goes off. Then get up and do something else that is fun
2. Change your perception. Recognise that you may be perceiving your life as empty because you are upset,but that may not necessarily be true. If you want to heal your depression, rather than focussing on what is no longer there, look around and find what is.
Remind yourself that you have your friends, your animals, your partner, your neighbours. If you do feel completely alone, go out and meet some new people, take up a hobby or join a class or a gym to learn somethin new and occupy your mind.
3. This is a new beginning for you. Focus on your freedom. You now have time to pamper yourself and get out and about, like you may not have had before. There are many meaningful things to enjoy.
What have you always wanted to do but put aside? Go for it Your child would not want you to be wasting your time pining for them. They are out getting on with their lives and would want you to do the same.
4. Be creative. Finding your own self-expression will do wonders to give your life more meaning and joy. Think about what you are good at. Maybe you love to write or to paint or knit or dance? It is your time to shine now so what are you waiting for?
Give yourself permission to do something with your talents that absorbs your mind, and helps your self esteem Depression does not have to last long.
5. Express your feelings to someone else. Talk to someone who understands you whether it is a positive friend or counsellor. Don't bottle your feelings up, where they can cause ill-health. By expressing how you feel, you will gain the nurturing and strength to get through it more quickly.
With the above suggestions, you can begin moving forward and creating a wonderful new life for yourself.
If your depression persists and you are finding it difficult to move through it then there are easy ways to permanently eliminate it from your life.