Rosie O’Donnell buying a house, playing bar trivia in Lakeview
Article Tools More News Net No related
Since sifting through dull newspapers, hyperbolic blogs, and overflowing RSS feeds for meaningful news can be an arduous process, News Net catches and compiles both the amusing and the significant reports that were overlooked throughout the weekend. Here are some things to think about as the work week begins.
• It's common knowledge that Rosie O'Donnell's moved into Oprah's old digs at Harpo studios for her upcoming show on the OWN network, but apparently now she's making herself a little more at home in our fair city. The talk show host is under contract to buy a $2.5 million home in Lakeview and has been out and about in the neighborhood, stopping by Cullen's for trivia this past week.
• Even the Emmys were a little Chicago-y this weekend as native Jane Lynch hosted, Plainfield's Melissa McCarthy won best actress in a comedy, and Julianna Margulies won best actress in a drama for locally set, though not locally filmed, The Good Wife.
• This weekend's Art On Track installation featured a mobile garden making trips around the loop for a solid five hours. The project was the brainchild of Joe Baldwin, an artist and horticultural enthusiast who wants to put a garden on the CTA for upwards of three months in the future.
• Lollapalooza's getting a pass on post-festival clean-up costs. While record crowds and torrential rains basically destroyed Grant Park this year, the festival's taking its sweet time cleaning up the joint, and the city doesn't seem to mind, even nixing traditional clean-up costs that other groups and festivals would have to pay.
• SweepAround.Us is a new service that tracks Chicagoland street sweeping, sending e-mail alerts when subscribers' areas about to be hit. Tickets, beware.