Who is Dr Oz?
Dr. Mehmet Oz is a Turkish-American cardiothoracic surgeon. Born on June 11, 1960 in Cleveland Ohio to Turkish parents, Dr Oz is also a bestselling author and highly acclaimed health expert.
Dr Oz studied in Harvard University before obtaining a joint MD and MBA degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Wharton Business School. Through his life as a student, he earned various awards and positions, including the Captain's Athletic Award and being class president in Harvard and also in medical school.
Dr Oz currently holds several positions in the medical industry, as well as membership in all major professional societies of heart surgeons.
- He is the vice chairman and also a professor at Columbia University.
- He is also the director of the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
- He is also the founder and chairman of the non-profit organization HealthCorps. It sends college graduates to high schools to mentor high school students about health, fitness and nutrition.
- Dr Oz is also the director of Siga Technologies, a biotechnology firm that aims to find ways to treat infectious diseases such as small pox and Dengue fever. Its major program is called ST-246, an oral therapeutic agent against orthopox viruses, such as smallpox.
- Dr Oz is also a member of OneVoice Movement's Trustees Advisory Council. OneVoice is a non-profit organization which aims to equip and empower Palestinians and Israelis to be more proactive in conflict resolution in their countries.
Dr Oz already has a total of 400 combined publications, which includes medical books, chapters and magazine columns in Reader's Digest and Esquire. The following are his bestselling and major publications in the past years.
- You: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger, released in May 2005 and co-authored with Dr. Michael Roizen – You: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment, released in 2006, co-authored with Dr. Michael Roizen – You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management, also released in 2006 and co-authored with Dr. Michael Roizen – Healing from the Heart: A Leading Surgeon Combines Eastern and Western Traditions to create the Medicine of the Future, released in 1999 and co authored with Ron Arias and Dean Ornish
Dr Oz serves as the health expert in the Oprah Winfrey show. Aside from this and other appearances in various television shows in the US, Dr Oz has also lent his expertise through the radio. He has a regular show broadcasted over XM Satellite Radio: Oprah and Friends that airs everyday. He is also set to launch his own daily television show this 2009 which will be produced by Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions and Sony Pictures.
He also has several award-winning shows in Discovery Health, namely "Second Opinion with Dr Oz", "Life Line", "Daily Rounds", "The Truth about Food", "Live Transplant", "National Body Challenge" and "You: On a Diet". He also has one show in Comedy Central named "The Colbert Report." Lastly, Dr Oz is on "AccentHealth", a magazine program designed to be viewed in doctors' offices. He also appeared in The Charlie Rose Show and was also the medical director in the Denzel Washington film John Q.
Dr Oz has garnered various recognitions in the medical field as well as in the media, with his significant contributions to the industries. Among his awards and honors are the following:
- He was elected as the Global Leader of Tomorrow by the World Economic Forum. – He was also granted the American Association for Thoracic Surgery Gross Research Scholarship. – He was given an honorary doctorate by Istanbul University. – Dr Oz was also voted as "The Best and Brightest" by Esquire magazine. – He is one of the "Doctors of the Year" in Hippocrates magazine. – He was also hailed as one of the "Healers of the Millennium" in Healthy Living. – He is also considered by Castle Connolly Guide as one of the best physicians in the United States. – 02138 Magazine has also recognized Dr Oz as one of "The Harvard 100 Most Influential Alumni".
Dr Oz is currently residing in Cliffside Park, New Jersey with his wife Lisa and their four children Daphne, Arabella, Zoe and Oliver.